my pleasure

TOUNGE OF MY COLICAB

Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

hmm

…and nothing really special or ground-breaking but I’ve been thinking about this a lot, so you can just scroll through. It’s more to put my thoughts into words. I’ve been thinking much about what I am trying to do in college. Everyone says it’s the time of “experimentation” and “finding yourself.” And while yes, I have friends who have said that they are doing things very unlike their previous selves and while, yes, I too am taking on roles that I might not have been before, it’s not exactly just “finding yourself.”

It’s more about creating yourself, as some quote whose author I can’t exactly remember. And, it’s about trying to be the best version of yourself. While that sounds like something a teacher would preach, it’s true. In college, people want to prove that they are finally out of their awkward stage and ready to transition into the most balanced people they can be. We want to be both beautiful and smart, and while we want that all along, it’s the first time that we aren’t 100% labeled and the first time that we can take charge, whether it be over our bodies or out minds.

But, it’s hard. It means having both the motivation and dedication to be so. It means creating a plan - which is not super hard - and following it - which is. It’s using this time wisely; it’s maximizing every minute. It’s also coming to terms that we might not be 100% out of our awkward stage. People expect it to be like a typical teenage movie; college is not a switch in which the awkward stage just turns “off.” But, college is all about taking what you have and trying your best despite obstacles.

Mine is to be balanced person I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment